Duplex 2205 also known as Duplex Stainless Steel or 2205 Stainless Steel is a corroded metal with a combination of ferritic steel and austenitic steel. 2205 Duplex contains 22% chromium, 3% molybdenum, 5 to 6% nickel used extensively in applications that require good corrosion resistance & strength. The lower nickel content of the Duplex grades means a better thermal conductivity as compared to the austenitic equivalent grade. These low nickel alternates offer far more stable pricing compared to the higher nickel austenitic alloys. Duplex Steel provides superior protection against corrosion than most grades of stainless steel in the majority of environments. The most widely used stainless steel is Duplex 2205. The use of duplex stainless steel has grown and is a popular choice for a number of reasons including its price stability and higher strength. Duplex stainless steels are low nickel bearing stainless steels that offer many mechanical and corrosion resistant benefits over more popular 300 series stainless steels. Welding the Duplex Stainless Steels seems easy if the only criteria is passing ASME code. Replacement of expensive Nickel with Nitrogen gives several advantages, including enhanced tensile properties and greater resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion, and they are twice the strength of 300 Series of Stainless Steel. Their lighter weight also makes duplex stainless steels cheaper to transport and assemble. 2205 duplex stainless steel is a more common duplex stainless that offers corrosion resistance between 317/L and the 6% Mo alloys.
Duplex 2205 Stainless Steel Attributes
- Two-Phase, austenitic and ferritic stainless steels.
- Weldable with care in thick sections.
- Mechanical Strength.
- Restricted to 300 deg C maximum.
- Resistance to pitting & crevice corrosion.
- Resistance to stress corrosion cracking & corrosion fatigue.
- Resistance to uniform corrosion.
- Resistance to abrasion & erosion.
- Resistance to Fatigue.
- Wide range of corrosion resistance to match application.
- High energy absorption.
- Low thermal expansion.
- Useful up to 600°F.
2205 Stainless Steel Applications
- Marine Industry and Seawater systems – Cargo Tanks for Ships, High chloride environments.
- Chemical Processing Industry – Transport and Storage, pressure vessels, tanks, piping, and heat exchangers.
- FGD / Effluent Scrubber Systems.
- Oil and Gas exploration and processing equipment – piping, tubing, and heat exchangers.
- Paper and Pulp Industry Digesters, Bleaching equipment and Stock-Handling Systems, Chip Pre-steaming vessels.
- Food Processing Equipment.
- Flue gas desulfurization / cleaning equipment.
- Rotors, fans, shafts, and press rolls requiring combined strength and corrosion resistance.
- Biofuels Plant, Desalination plants.
- Firewalls and blast walls on offshore platforms.
2205 Duplex is highly resistant to following environments
- Food Processing Equipment where Ammonium Bicarbonate, Benzoic Acid, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Hydroxide, Calcium Nitrate, Malic Acid, Nitric Acid, etc is used.
- Chemical Processing Industry where Ammonium Bromide, Copper Acetate, Chlorobenzene, Carbon Tetrachloride, etc is used.
- Pharmaceutical Industry where Gallic Acid is used.
- Biofuels Plant, Desalination plants, Flue gas desulfurization, cleaning equipment, Paper and Pulp Industry where Magnesium Chloride is used.
Benefits Of Duplex Stainless Steel
- Higher strength leading to weight saving.
- Greater corrosion resistance particularly stress corrosion cracking.
- Better price stability.
- Lower price.
- Easily Available.
- High Performance.
- Lighter Weight hence cheaper to transport.
- Reduced Down Time.
- Reduced Maintenance.
- Less Risk To The Environment.